You have now completed the theory section of your online communication training. Ensure you have downloaded and saved your handout – encompassing the Communication Styles Assessment – for your own records.
You will need to pass the quiz in the next section to complete this course successfully and receive your certificate.
Please also take the time to evaluate the course in the evaluation section.
Solution to Self-Directed Activity 3:
‘We are not taking a test today’
There are multiple different ways this phrase can be interpreted, depending on which word is emphasised.
- No emphasis at all – pure statement of fact
- Emphasis on ‘We’ – someone else is taking a test
- Emphasis on ‘not’ – firmly disputing that we are taking a test
- Emphasis on ‘a’ – we are taking more than one test today
- Emphasis oh ‘test’ – we are doing something else today
- Emphasis on ‘today’ – we are taking a test another day
This exercise focuses on voice tone – showing just how much effect non-verbal cues (non-verbal communication) can have on perceived meaning.
- Training for the cross-cultural mind : a handbook for cross-cultural trainers and consultants. Pierre Casse, 1981
- Leadership Victoria – www.leadershipvictoria.org/docs/self-assessment_communication-styles.pdf
- Bright Hub Project Management – www.brighthubpm.com/resource-management
- The Importance of Effective Communication, Edward G. Wertheim, PhD – www.trent-ehrl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Attentiveness-abilities-doc3.pdf
- Lawn, S., Delany, T., Sweet, L., Battersby, M. and Skinner, T. (2013). Barriers and enablers to good communication and information-sharing practices in care planning for chronic condition management. Australian Journal of Primary Health – https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e65a/05e008652087b8cf6dd5e7f6e0b221a1a1df.pdf
- Uri Hasson Ted Talk about your brain and communication: https://www.ted.com/talks/uri_hasson_this_is_your_brain_on_communication#t-654207
- Stagen (Leadership Academy) – ‘Communication Intent vs Impact’: https://stagen.com/communication-intent-vs-impact/
- Very Well Mind – ‘Autocratic Leadership’: https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-autocratic-leadership-2795314
- Soft Panorama – ‘Characteristics of diplomatic communication’: http://www.softpanorama.org/Social/Communication/diplomatic_communication.shtml#Characteristics_of_diplomatic_communication
- 8 Tips for Effective Email Communication. The Telephone Doctor. Available online at: https://telephonedoctor.com/eight-tips-for-effective-email-communication/
- Five Telephone Communication Skills Tips. Skills You Need. Available online at: https://www.skillsyouneed.com/rhubarb/customer-service-telephone-skills.html
- Video Conferencing Etiquette: 10 Tips For a Successful Video conference. Owl Labs. Available online at: https://www.owllabs.com/blog/video-conferencing-etiquette