Rushworth is located 50km north of Seymour in central Victoria, roughly 180km from Melbourne.
The area’s first people are the Nguraiillam-wurrung people. By 1845 the first European settlers had taken up land in the area. It has been told that gold was discovered when local Aboriginal people showed diggers ‘pretty stones’ in 1853.
The settlement was originally known as Nuggetty, due to the numerous gold nuggets found there during the gold rush. Many of the buildings from that time still remain, and the High Street Heritage Walk is a good place to start to see them all.
The land south of Rushworth is hilly and mainly taken up by the Rushworth State Forest. This land was extensively scoured for gold, but still attracts fossickers. Tracks and mine workings still remain. The area is also popular with bushwalkers.
Please contact the health service directly for any accommodation they may have available for students – GV Health – Waranga Campus.
There are other accommodation options in Rushworth, from Cabins at the Caravan Parks to reasonably priced hotels. See the following websites for more information.
The following websites provide a little more information about the Rushworth township and region:
Thanks to Mattinbgn from Wikimedia Commons for the use of pictures.