Who do I contact for accommodation assistance?

For University of Melbourne accommodation in Ballarat, Shepparton & Wangaratta please contact the Student Accommodations Team at drh-accom@unimelb.edu.au or call 03 582 34500. Business hours are  Monday-Friday from 9-5

or book online via this link: https://umelbrh.starrezhousing.com/StarRezPortal/D93106A4/1/1/Home-Home

For all other sites please contact your placement site directly for information or see here

How do I apply for funding?

See https://goingruralhealth.com.au/student-information/student-support-scheme/  for all information and to apply.

Please note: financial assistance provision is subject to eligibility criteria. See the above link for more details.

If you have any further questions please email going-ruralhealth@unimelb.edu.au 

I’m trying to apply for student financial assistance, and the link takes me to the University of Melbourne StarRez page. I don’t want accommodation assistance. What can I do?

Financial assistance applications are managed through the StarRez portal. Follow the instructions, and if you don’t want accommodation you will be diverted to the financial assistance section only.

If you have any further questions, please email going-ruralhealth@unimelb.edu.au

What do I do if I need some help with my placement supervisor?

Talk with your university liaison contact or if relevant, speak with the Going Rural Health staff member who is supporting your placement. 

Don’t wait until the end of your placement. If you have issues please raise them as soon as possible. 

This ‘Rural Placement Guide’, developed by the National Rural Health Student Network is also a fantastic resource: https://www.nrhsn.org.au/resources/publications/rural-placements-guide/

What assistance can Going Rural Health offer international students?

Financial assistance for rural placements is unfortunately not available to international students. However, all other Going Rural Health supports for students, including education support, cultural training and mentoring support, can be accessed by international students.


What do I do if I need assistance out of hours?

For all medical emergencies contact 000.

To access a confidential 24-hour support and debriefing service, contact CRANA plus toll free on 1800 805 391.

The National Rural Health Student Network (NRHSN) have also produced this resource which can help you in many situations: When the cowpat hits the windmill

Many placement sites will also give you an after hours contact number to use if you have issues. Ask your placement site education/placement manager or supervisor.

Your university should also have a counselling service for students that you can access. You can find this information on your university’s website.

for any further questions, please contact us via the form below:

    By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.