Who the Service is for:

The Health and Wellbeing Practitioners (HWP) offer free support services to University of Melbourne students currently enrolled within the Melbourne Medical School, as well as students from any institution on placement through Going Rural Health. The service can be accessed for a range of purposes, from discussing strategies to stay well over stressful study periods, referral to other support providers, isolation and homesickness, to concerns regarding bullying or harassment in the medicine, nursing and allied health environment.

Accessing support through this service is not intended to be on a long term basis. Given the high demand for support services, the HWP provide short to medium term assistance. Where more intensive or long term support is needed, the HWP can assist you in accessing external support services. With student consent, the practitioner may make a referral to a local healthcare provider, and facilitate the handover process.


How it works:

Appointments can be arranged by students through the following link:


Once on the booking site you will be able to find a Health and Wellbeing Practitioner at your nearest clinical school location (Shepparton, Echuca, Wangaratta, Bendigo or Ballarat). Select your site, and ‘any practitioner’, then look through the calendar to determine a day and time that is available and suits you.

Appointments are also available for students outside these areas via Zoom, a videoconferencing platform that is easy to use, or by phone. Request one of these methods of contact for your appointment when booking, by adding a comment in the ‘Comment’ field, in the ‘Extra Information’ section.

To book an appointment you will be asked to enter some of your personal details. For information regarding the privacy of your information, please see the service privacy statement.


What to expect:

When you attend an appointment with the Health and Wellbeing Practitioner, you can expect a professional, responsive and respectful service. Our practitioners are qualified and experienced as Social Workers, Mental Health Nurses or Psychologists, with extensive knowledge and understanding of the personal, family and work problems that may exist for students. A practitioner can assist you to gain a clearer understanding of whatever concern you have, and identify appropriate strategies or options for you to consider. They aim to be independent, good listeners, and do not blame or pass judgement. Sessions will likely involve an initial assessment of the presenting issues and the development of appropriate support plan. It may also include an external referral.