The Going Rural Health Student Support Scheme has been developed to assist students with the associated costs of accommodation and travel when completing a clinical placement in a rural setting across Hume, Ovens, Murray, Goulburn, Ballarat and Grampians regions (see the map below for more information on the locations of these regions).
For eligible students, a payment of $200per week (capped at $2,500) and subsidised accommodation at University of Melbourne owned housing, for $50 per week (subject to availability) can be offered.
International students (students from New Zealand or who have refugee status are eligible to apply) are not eligible for finance; however, they can access subsidised accommodation at UoM owned housing for $100 per week (subject to availability).
Students are to provide a completed Proof of Placement form no later than the 30th of November 2020 for Clinical Placements in the same calendar year.
Please note: it may take up to 5 days for your initial application to be reviewed.
If your application has been successful, payment will be made via bank transfer and may take up to 4 weeks to be issued after receipt of all required documentation and completion of clinical placement.
The Going Rural Health team reserves the right to not award an allowance even if a student believes they meet all the eligibility criteria.
- Complete clinical placement within our footprint (refer to map below).
- Travel a minimum of 50km one way from home address to placement site.
- Be an Australian or New Zealand resident or have refugee status (evidence to be provided).
- For RN and Allied Health students, placement must be a minimum of 2 weeks full time (no less than 4 days per week).
- NOTE: Enrolled nursing students must complete a placement of 3 weeks or more full time (no less than 4 days per week).
- Register all details with the Going Rural Health team either prior to, during or within 30 days of completion of your clinical placement.
- Successfully complete clinical placement requirement and length.
- Submit Proof of Placement form and complete the Student Placement Survey within 30 days of completion of your placement.
University of Melbourne Students
Additional funding has been made available to UoM students from the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences. Application criteria are the same as above.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students:
Funding is available as above and at no cost, students can also register to be involved in a dedicated mentoring program:
- An Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander health professional, where possible of the same discipline, is available to mentor Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students throughout their placement. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Those NOT eligible to apply for financial support:
- Federation University students are to apply for financial support via the Kickstart program (scholarships office).
- Students receiving financial assistance or scholarships from other organisations including RWAV.
- Students completing a placement as a paid Intern.
- International students (students from New Zealand or who have refugee status are eligible to apply) are not eligible for finance; however, they can access subsidised accommodation at UoM owned housing for $100 per week (subject to availability).
- Students completing placement in Melbourne metro or Geelong
For further information contact the Going Rural Health team via email: email@example.com
Not doing a placement in our footprint, contact ARHEN – https://arhen.org.au/about-udrhs/ to see what other UDRH’s may offer you.