2023 Applications closed

Student support scheme

The Student Support Scheme has been developed to assist students with the associated costs of accommodation and travel when completing a clinical placement in a rural setting. This program is funded by the Australian Government Rural Health Multidisciplinary Training program.

apply now
2023 going rural health policy proof of placement form Where do we support?

Am I eligible? 

  • Be enrolled in a nationally recognised nursing, allied health or other health science undergraduate or postgraduate degree with a recognised Australian education provider.
  • Be an Australian or New Zealand resident or have refugee status (evidence to be provided).
  • Placements must be a minimum of 2 weeks full time (and no less than 4 days per week).
  • Complete a placement in specified locations/towns in Victoria (see GRH Footprint, ‘where do we support’, above).

All 2023 Going Rural Health Support Scheme applications will be subject to and assessed under the revised 2023 eligibility criteria. Please see the policy above for full details.

Criteria dated 01/08/2023

How to apply?

  1. Register a profile on the Rural Living Portal
  2. Once registered and logged in, select ‘apply now’
  3. Complete the application, including the placement you’re looking to
    get support for.
  4. We will review your application within 15 business days.
  5. Keep an eye out in your inbox for an outcome of your application.

Please apply, before or during your placement. Applications submitted after completion of placements will not be accepted.

What support could I receive? 

Eligible students can receive either a bursary or subsidised accommodation (not both)

Bursary: The bursary amount is calculated by a student’s placement length, the maximum amount offered is $1,500.

Subsidised accommodation: Within University of Melbourne owned housing, $100 per week (subject to availability) can be offered.

Note: If the location of placement has University of Melbourne student
accommodation, this will be the offer provided to the student. If
the student declines the use of UoM accommodation, a reduced
bursary can be offered to the cap of $600.

Should there be accommodation within the placement location but
no rooms available, the student can be offered a bursary if eligible
to the cap of $1,500.

For more information on our student accommodation, please click HERE.

University of Melbourne students

Support is available to University of Melbourne students compelting a rural placement anywhere in Australia.

This support is also available to international students.

For further information, please click HERE

Semester 2 funding available, please apply now.

Please note: it may take up to 15 days for your initial application to be reviewed. 

If your application has been successful, payment will be made via bank transfer and may take up to 4 weeks to be issued after receipt of all required documentation and completion of clinical placement.

The Going Rural Health team reserves the right to not award an allowance even if a student believes they meet all the eligibility criteria.

Students must register all details with the Going Rural Health team either prior to, or during placement. Any applications received after student’s placement completion date has been reached, will not be reviewed/supported.

Additional support to that outlined above is provided to First Nations students who express a need for a bespoke approach. Please contact Going Rural Health for more information.

For further information contact the Going Rural Health team via email: going-ruralhealth@unimelb.edu.au