Are you preparing for your rural placement? Perhaps have some down time during placement and looking for something to do? Or maybe you are a little anxious about how you will cope in a new town away from home for your placement.
We have compiled a number of online resources available for students to assist you with all of the above. The list certainly isn’t absolute and will continue to grow.
So make yourself comfortable, grab a cuppa and browse these resources.
*Fees or subscriptions required to access content
Being in or traveling through a rural or regional area, means that there are a number of potential hazards that you may not have come across before. We take student safety very seriously, and therefore would like to make sure you are prepared and know where to go for more information.
It is important to stay alert to the conditions around you, as they can change quickly.
In Victoria, the best place to source information is via the Vic Emergency App. This app has been developed to combine all of the following agencies critical alerts and community advice, which includes updates and information from:
- Country Fire Authority
- Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Life Saving Victoria
- Metropolitan Fire Brigade
- Victorian State Emergency Service
The VicEmergency Apps can be downloaded to your phones easily, with the ability to create a ‘watch zone’ around the area that you are located in.
ISO Apple Store App: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/vicemergency/id356559665?mt=8
Android Store App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.naturallybeing.fireready
Other resources for VicEmergency information are:
You can also find information by:
- Tuning into ABC local radio or other emergency broadcasters including commercial and community radio, or SKY TV.
- Phoning the VicEmergency Hotline on 1800 226 226
- Following the VicEmergency social media platforms on Facebook or Twitter
- The closest police station to where you are located
At times technology may fail, and it is important that you are prepared and know where you can get emergency information and warnings.